Registration: 497 YUT
Chassis Number: BN4-L-O/30850
Engine Number: 29D-U-H/2618
The Donald Healey Motor Company used the designations BN1 and BN2 for the first two Austin-Healey cars with BN4 for the 100-6 four seater and BN6 for the two seater six cylinder cars. The 100-6 was born from the Austin-Healey 100/4, 100M and 100S models and marked the change over from the four cylinder to the six cylinder engine. The production of the BN4 had begun at Longbridge in May 1956, immediately after that of the four cylinder BN2 had stopped and it continued there until December 1957 before moving to the Abingdon plant. At introduction, only the four seater car was available as Donald Healey had become convinced that was what the market wanted. The BN4 was based on some of the lessons learned in the development of the BN3. For some unknown reason, the designation BN4 was given to the two-plus-two car. This is the only instance where the â Nâ is used on a four seater model.
This Longbridge car is a wonderful example of someone pursuing their passion. When restoring the car, the then owner, decided not to follow the rulebook. Originally exported to D ¼ssledorf, Germany in November of 1956 and interestingly specified with a MPH speedometer, he converted the car from left to righthand drive and upgraded the engine to a Mk. I 3000 unit whilst keeping the desirable early centre creased bonnet. Not content to stop there he fitted a fast road cam, 2â SU carburettors, large core radiator, front disc brakes, aluminium fuel tank, 3000 style wing vents, rear roll cage, overdrive gearbox, 72 spoke wheels, front spot lights and trimmed in the rear seats.
Whilst not for the purist, the work on this car has been done well and it is a huge amount of fun, giving anything a run for its money on any B-road.
This lovely car is supplied with V5C registration document, a current MoT test certificate valid until October 2019, a comprehensive history file including receipts from the rebuild along with photographs and a Heritage Certificate.